Oregon Alcohol Server Class
Oregon Alcohol Server Class
Return to the Index » Next Lesson

Service Permits

Anyone who mixes, sells, or serves alcohol.

Anyone who mixes, sells, or serves alcohol in any manner for drinking on the premises, and anyone who manages these people, must have a service permit. Additionally, anyone who fills growlers for off-premises consumption must also have a service permit. 

Managers must obtain a permit even if they themselves don't mix, sell, or serve. Cashiers and hosts and hostesses must also obtain a permit, even if ringing up the sale of alcohol is their only alcohol service duty. (Host and hostesses who only greet and seat customers do not need a service permit. But without a service permit, they may not collect money for alcohol, ring up alcohol sales, or help servers deliver or pour alcohol.) Persons who perform these duties at a licensed establishment must obtain a service permit even if they are volunteers. (Servers at some special events holding Temporary Sales licenses are not required to obtain a service permit. See OAR 845-005-0440 for details.)

A service permittee is any person who has been granted a service permit. Service permits are good for five years from the date of the class you took to qualify for the permit and may be used at any licensed premises in the state. A service permit is the server's permit to serve alcohol and belongs to the permittee. It does not belong to the employer. Permittees are responsible for informing the OLCC when they change their name or address. 

The law says service permittees must make their service permits "available at any time while on duty for immediate inspection" by any OLCC regulatory employee or police officer. It's best to have your permit on you when you're working. If your permit is in your wallet in the employee room and you can produce it immediately, you would be complying with the law. But if you leave your permit at home or at another restaurant where you work, it would not be available for "immediate inspection" and you would not be complying with the law. 

You must be at least 18 years old to obtain a service permit. (Permittees ages 18 through 20 are called minor service permittees. 

Licensees and Server Education
A liquor licensee is any person or legal entity granted the privilege of selling alcoholic beverages.

Licensees who are granted a liquor license in their individual name do not need a service permit to mix, sell, serve, or manage at their place of business. Their liquor license is also their service permit. However, licensees, like service permittees, must pass a server education course before they are issued a liquor license.

Liquor licensees must take server education if they hold a license that allows the sale and service of alcohol for on-premises consumption. This includes the following licenses:

  • Full On-Premises Sales
  • Limited On-Premises Sales
  • Brewery-Public House
  • Winery*
  • Brewery*

 * Licensees holding these licenses may be exempted from server education if their business does not serve alcohol for on-premises consumption.

If a corporation or other legal entity (such as a limited liability company or a limited partnership) is the licensee, a designated person must take server education on behalf of the liquor license. Any member of the corporation or other legal entity who participates in the mixing, serving, or selling of alcohol for consumption on the premises-or who manages employees who do-must have a service permit.

Licensee Responsibility for Service Permits

Licensees are responsible for verifying that
their alcohol servers either have a service
permit or have applied for one before
allowing them to mix, sell, or serve alcohol.

Licensees must also verify the age and identity of the person who shows the permit or pending application. If the person does not have a permit or pending application, the licensee must have the person complete an application and verify the person's age and identity before allowing them to mix, sell, or serve alcohol. Licensees are then responsible for mailing the application to the OLCC by the end of the next business day.


How to Obtain a Service Permit

You must complete both steps to obtain a service permit:

1. Clearly complete (by printing or typing) all the spaces on a service permit application before your first day mixing, selling, or serving alcohol. Then have an authorized person, usually your employer, verify your age and identity and sign the application. Make sure your application is completed and mailed to the OLCC with the $23 fee. Licensees are responsible for immediately transmitting the application by the end of the first work day following your first work shift. Service permit applications are available from your employer, OLCC's website: 
2. Take and pass an alcohol server education class within 45 days from the first day you start mixing, selling, or serving alcohol. There is a charge of $12-40 payable to the class provider for this class.

If you pass a class before you complete a service permit application, the OLCC will give you credit for your class if you apply for a service permit within two years of the date you passed the exam. However, the service permit is good for five years from the date of the class you took to qualify for the permit, so if you wait two years to apply for a permit, the permit will be valid for only three years.

You should receive your service permit about 14 business days after the OLCC receives your completed service permit application, $23.00 fee, and you have passed the server education test (which will be given at the end of this class).
The OLCC publishes test scores on their website. If a student has completed the test within the last 60 days their name should be on the list. If they do not see their name and test score on the list, and it has been more than 7 days since they have completed the test, please have them contact the OLCC at 503-872-5133. After 60 days has passed their name will no longer appear on the list and they will need to contact the OLCC to find out their score. Here is the link:

Not every person qualifies for a service permit. Applicants may be denied if they have recent and/or multiple felony convictions or DUII convictions, or if they make a false statement on the application. The form contains a brief description of the conditions that may make someone ineligible for a service permit. Read the application carefully and complete it fully and honestly. If you have questions about whether you are eligible, call the OLCC.

Minor Service Permittees

Generally, alcohol servers will be 21 years old. Minors 18 to 20 years old may take orders for, serve, or sell alcohol, but only in areas where the minor posting allows them (See ORS 471.482). Minors will get a minor service permit. On their 21st birthday, this same permit provides all the privileges of an adult service permit.

All liquor licenses that allow retail sales privileges may employ minors in areas and during hours when minor patronage is allowed unless otherwise prohibited by OLCC rules.

Minor service permittees may NOT:
  • Serve alcohol or take food orders in areas prohibited to minors, such as a bar or lounge.
  • Function solely as a bartender or cocktail server.
  • Mix drinks.
Minor service permittees MAY:
  • Take orders for and serve alcohol in areas not prohibited to minors, such as a dining room or hotel lobby.
  • Pour wine or beer as a service to patrons at their tables in areas not prohibited to minors.
  • Draw alcohol from the tap if the drawing is done in areas not prohibited to minors.
  • Fill growlers. 
  • Enter areas prohibited to minors, such as the bar or lounge, to:

1. Order and pick up drinks for service in non-prohibited areas.

2. Restock supplies.

3. Set and clear tables.

4. Deliver food, but not take food orders.

 Minors must leave the prohibited areas after performing these limited duties. Minor service permits allow young people to work in businesses as food servers, but not primarily as alcohol servers.

Return to the Index » Next Lesson

Home | Signup | Demo | Contact Us Login | Help/FAQ | Oregon Food Handlers
Magic Popup